Friday, June 15, 2007

Defense

This painting I have been working on for
a year or so. It's modeled on a digital photo
I took of my self that has been manipulated
on the computer. One afternoon I took
a whole series of self portraits on the digital
camera using the timer function.
The idea was to pose in various ways then
pick a winner that could be translated
to painting. Originally I was going to
make it more realistic, but in such a way
that you knew that it had a digital
connection. Reality set in so I decided not to
do something so tedious.
I was already working on a tedious painting,
that I have almost finished now, which had
maybe a hundred or so pair of circles tilted in a receding
plane in multiple blues.
In the top left hand corner of the posted painting is a
simple version of the circle painting on an easel.
Anyway, I slightly abstracted the winning
photo and printed it out. I did a quick
spontaneous charcoal sketch using the photo
as a guide then applied the paint.
The current title which may change is, 'Image
Defense'. A title that was dreamed up in a
hurry as it was photographed and entered
in a local art prize. The title was a bit of a reaction
to how I feel about the local art scene and
local art competitions. I hope they weren't
offended - they didn't choose any of the artworks
that I put on the disk. I went to the opening and
as usual I was not that impressed.
Oh, well maybe love is blind.

Image Defense 2006-
(Working Title)
170x122cm

4 comments:

  1. Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why I've never entered THAT competition. I said that to another friend who also entered, I took his photos for him.
    It's aquisitional...that my friend says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L.M. - Two ships in the night.
    8:58/9:04
    Rodrigo - non comprehende.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encontraram peixes de Babel para traduzir seu texto Rodrigo. Você parece falar o português. Agradecimentos para o comentário David.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010