Sunday, December 2, 2007

Birth

My daughter had her first baby on Thursday the 29th of November. Her name is Imogen and she weighed 7lbs at birth: so officially, I am now a grandfather at the ripe old age of 46. My daughter was the basis for this character from one of my paintings.

She really doesn't have hands like baseball mits or such a slicked bouffant hair style. She was still in high school when I painted this. The shirt she is wearing is sort of a sports outfit with a bit of a blurred logo on the front. At least there is plenty of room for air flow up through the sleeves.

I suppose now I will have to have a baby in one of my paintings - sort of a family suite with a discourse on the meaning of the name Imogen. Imogen is Gaelic and means maiden or daughter and came from Shakespeare's Cymbeline - originally as Innogen. Another meaning is, "innocent: last born", but in this case she is the first born, so I think Innocent daughter is the best fit.

8 comments:

  1. I love the name Imogen, congrats to you all, how exciting :) I like the painting, the green chair and the pose. Has this feel to it that I relate to as a mother of a daughter LOL! That set look on her face, that contrived indifference, that slight chaos and life frequently off kilter (depending on dd mood that day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Poppy...knew you must have a good reason for not being at the book sale. Nevermind, all the good books went to a good home. Got the Pine Rivers brochure, the image advertising your show look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Loretta - I feel so old now.
    I always miss the Library book sales - was this one at Beerwah or up the coast? I haven't seen the brochure yet - is it a general gallery guide for the coming year or just a brochure on my show?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost left you out Corrine - sorry. Thanks for the congrats and insightful comments on my painting. I will ask my daughter if I can post a picture of Imogen on The Bird Proofer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, a very young age for a new title fit for a king.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard, Loretta is right you are a bit cryptic. Imogen is a girl which would make her a Queen. Unless you are referring to me as the King. Hmm interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was at Beerwah Library, and the brochure is 'Brisbane and South East Queensland Visual & Performing Arts Guide'. I'm keeping my copy for you, although your bound to find a stack either the library? or at the public galleries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Loretta, but Karen sent me a copy in the post. Judy suggested I scurry around and scavenge a few more for posterity - I may need all the 'Image Defense' I can get in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010