Thursday, January 3, 2008

Pencil

I have been feverishly working on my art show: framing drawings (now finished), framing paintings (almost finished), making lists, messing with video, preparing blog pages etc. etc. etc.

While I was searching for artworks to fit frames, I found two old drawings that I thought were lost. Both of these were done in 1978 when I was in grade eleven at Miami High School on the Gold Coast. Both drawings are typical of my earlier drawing style and also my young, moralistic, social criticism of that time.

The first drawing, could be loosely called 'Bar Entry', and depicts the break down of a man addicted to drink - the bar has no EXIT sign.


The next drawing could be called 'TV Consumer' and depicts a grossly overweight man entrapped by media consumerism and gluttony. He is so unaware of his condition that he has become an image on his own TV.


In many ways I like to look back on the creative drive of my youth - time and lifestyle have a way of deadening our creativity and eagerness. The challenge is to press forward, finding new ideas, crossing new lines and not giving into the apathy that abounds due to our own recalcitrant thinking and consumer excesses.

Oh well, back to the mill stone.

6 comments:

  1. isn't is something to time travel that way...re-visiting your former self. i like it that your art carried a message. it would be interesting to view your art over the years to see how you have changed if any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merelyme,
    My art has changed in all sorts of ways over time, but there seems to be a core element that always remains the same - it's like a signature - a signature in my soul. I seem to carry the art work that I have done from the early days until now, as if they are ever present. To me they seem like an extension of myself.
    I can identify certain idiosyncrasies that earmark my work - gestures, mark making and ways of seeing that flag the source.
    My artwork still carries a message, but it is more camouflaged and less moralistic.
    Thanks for your interest Merelyme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes too I don't think it is apathy as much as fear. It takes a lot to say heck with the shoulds etc and expand on our creativity uninhibited.

    I enjoyed looking at the drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think your right Corrine - but maybe it's a lethargic fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how is your art show coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's coming along fine Merelyme, but I am super busy with a shrinking time frame - it's a race between getting all the work done for the show and running out of money.
    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010