Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Canvas

I bought a couple of small pre-made canvasses last week: the type that are made in China. I haven't painted on canvas for almost 20 years and I haven't painted with oils for about the same time. They are small canvases - 70x90cm - I normally don't paint under 120x90cm. I bought them to just mess around with some quick sketchy paintings - they are still in acrylic. One thing I have noticed is the canvas although double primed seems to use about twice as much paint - the textured surface area takes a lot more work to cover than board and absorbs my mark making.

This is after the first night of painting - just a scumbled and free drawing.


The next photo was taken after a few more nights work - I used to go to work in the daylight hours and have been painting at night for about 20 years - painting during the day seems like a luxury and is something I am not use to yet - it's already 9:30pm and I am thinking of painting after blogging.

I am using a limited and muted palette of vague primaries plus black and white. The accent is on a free and loose painting, developing strong contrasts and expressive composition. One idea I had was to do a large number of these cheap and small paintings and display them together with about 100mm between each work - covering a wall or many walls - each related to the previous work in some way. Maybe a few repeating characters and developing events, like a story or graphic novel - maybe even a blog just for this stuff like a zine or arty sort of online comic.


About 100 metres down my road is a sacred tree - the bird proofing tree. At night sometimes I can here the dancing of the farmers wives as they circle the tree, celebrating the bird proofing festival. It's on those nights that I paint in the dark, just in case I am seen by the farmers who roam the paddocks looking for sleeping birds and peering eyes.

7 comments:

  1. These are wonderfully expressive works David leave them as they are and quickly move on. Do lots, and present them all together as you have envisioned. You have so much energy to burn, I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Elizabeth and Corrine - hopefully I can repeat and improve on this painting over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this new painting... great colours... love you dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh... and beware the farmers watchful eyes... they just might glimpse your silhouetted spying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful work and an interesting blog. I'm putting your link on my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment Lynda - will check out your site.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010