Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Houses

Bumped into the failed painter today in front of a Crazy Clarke store. We had a good conversation about many things art - not much was resolved but we both resolved to do much.

Signed up to another online art club today - this one seems like Facebook for the arts. It actually doesn't look too bad and seems to be growing at an exponential rate. It's called ArtReview.com and can be found here or in my blog sidebar. I have started a few groups there:'Artists Down Under' and 'Art and Belief'. As per usual nowadays it's totally free to join and use.

It seems like every Art house in the world is scrambling to get online presence, and attract a massive collective of artists, dealers, collectors, galleries etc. I think the online profile of artists is going to be very important soon. The blogs and facebook/myspace like web online representation can only grow as more and more money and people are thrown at it.

How do you get a piece of the action and where will it all lead? Will the online presence become more important than the actual artworks? Is this real networking or merely virtual networking? Is 40+ too old to be part of this snowball of change in the art world? Will the Internet be the great equaliser or great divider?

Back to pre-Internet days - I found a few old photos from about 1983 of a few house paintings that I completed while living at North Wynnum (one of Brisbane's coastal suburbs). They remind me a bit of Howard Arkely's work, which I don't remember knowing about at the time. I was given a Howard Arkley book for Xmas and am finding it an interesting read. My Father was a Real Estate Agent for about seventeen years (between owning and working farms) - I remember visiting various properties and display house villages as a boy in rural and suburban Victoria. I find, I strongly identify with Arlely's vision of the suburban house - could it be linked to my upbringing in Victoria (Arkely was Victorian) or do all Australians relate to his bright but droll images?

So here's a few old and unnamed paintings that remain - a few are missing or destroyed and so have no photo record and one was sold - again with no photo.




1 comment:

  1. very curious works and strangely compelling. I can see what you mean about Arkley's work. How's the filmaking going...Josh has started his Screen production course and I hope to learn from him on the side.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010