Sunday, July 13, 2008

Next

Before I go to sleep I like to have a bit of a read in bed. The above book is one I have flicked through more than once over the last 20 years. It's a book that tries " to come to terms with the mosaic of meaning systems which make up modern thinking". I rarely ever read fiction, preferring to flick pages of an art book or poke around theology, science or biographical stuff. I read the Bible most nights, which I have studied quite a bit over most of my life. Currently I am using the ESV (English Standard Version) which is a very recent translation, but retains the feel and accuracy of older English versions but with up to date language.

Recently, I have been drawing in bed - like the following quick layout of another NASA painting. I am up to No. 7 in the NASA preliminary drawings but only starting No. 3 in the paintings.


The drawings have all the basics, needed to start another painting - title, theme, composition, action, narrative and any new objects. The two shown here are about 75 x 50mm in size and were scanned from a notebook page. The paintings for these will start hopefully in the next few weeks.



This is NASA No. 3, which I showed on the previous post in a state of partial undress. At the moment I am colouring in and scratching around, trying to get a feel for the work. I am just starting to like it and am feeling a lot more confident about progressing to it's logical end.

Below is a detail from the work that I call the "Lost in Space" portion, because it is like the opening credits of the sixties program of the same name that I watched as a kid. In the background can be seen the standard, 'David' symbol of a Glasshouse Mountain (Crookneck) signalling potential doom - these little guys have no idea of what's goin' down - sort of a Mr. Jones, thin man sung to a different ballad.

The upside down, party pooper, flower object in one astronauts hand, that is appearing in these paintings is starting to grab my attention - it seems to symbolise much, but very little at the same time - curious.

My son Jonas and daughter in-law Sarah's first home has just begun, being built in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland - lots of rock.


And finally, another bedtime story - below is a book I bought back in 1980 in Brisbane. This is one I have flicked through many times - it's a straight forward analysis of Modern Art and culture. It's a pity that it is an early 70's book as there is so much more to be said about the last 40 years. I might have to hunt down the author who took up the batton after this author as he (Rookmaaker) died in 1977. Here is a quote from Rookmaaker -"Modern art did not just happen. It came as a result of a deep reversal of spiritual values in the Age of Reason, a movement that in the course of a little more than two centuries changed the world." - we are living in the vacuum.

5 comments:

  1. Jess and I are loving these NASA paintings! I love this new one... the colors are really great! The are very mambo-esque... I like... You should make Jesse and I shirts for Christmas... but this time not sausage people... NASA people... that would be fun! love you dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paintings are wonderful! So glad to discover you. Thank you for linking to me. I will put your link up on my blogroll and will definitely visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Tahnee - good support from a family member.
    Martha - thanks for the positive comment - I linked to your site because I liked your work as well. All the best - I will call in as time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David,
    I'm enjoying your NASA drawings (in bed?). So fresh and un-self-conscious.
    I was in New York at MoMA on Friday and spent some time with a couple of de Kooning drawings, very similar to what you've made here – also quick sketches for paintings. They were hung with some of his big, angry pieces, but were like quiet whispers.
    Hope all's well.
    p.s. My husband Hal works at NASA Langley. I'm trying to think about his experience and what I know if them in terms of your project. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet

    The NASA drawings are just simple ideas put down quickly. And your right, they are less pretentious and fresh. I am not trying too hard as I take them up to paintings, because although I want them to stand as individual works I see them as a part of a group.
    I would have loved seeing the de Koonings and visiting New York. I have been to NASA at Florida back in 2002 - it's a very clean and spartan like affair.
    Don't let Hal think I am criticising NASA too much as the paintings are metaphors for much broader concerns. NASA was chosen because it stands out as one of the major themes of western culture over the last 50 years.
    It must be an interesting job to work at NASA - what does he do?
    Has HAL seen Space Odyssey 2001?
    Were you inspired by your trip to MoMA?

    Thanks for calling by.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010