Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Walken

Here is a few Youtube clips of American actor Christopher Walken.

The first one is from Julian Schnabel's film about Jean-Michael Basquiat - The Interview Scene - which I believe borrows heavily from an actual Basquiat interview. It's one of my favorite scenes from the film - due to Walkens edgy, searching interview style and Jeffrey Wright's stoned but sensitive portrayal of Basquait.




The next clip is from Woody Allen's film, "Annie Hall" - another favourite film of mine. Walken as per usual is mildly intense and marginally disturbed - he seems to be an actor that fits between characters, inhabiting a space, all of his own creating. Woody towards the end of the clip, finds himself being driven home by Walken and aptly conveys his misgivings and fear. A situation that most of us have found ourselves in at sometime, when left alone in a confined space with an unusual person.




When I was about twenty, a large rotundas man started following me in the streets of Brisbane. He was about 50 metres from me, and so I started to walk a bit quicker. At first I wasn't sure if he was pursuing me, but the closer he got the more I was certain that he had targeted me. I didn't run because part of me doubted that he was interested in me and so I tried to ignore him and not draw attention to myself.

But, he caught me and confronted me in the street outside St John's Church in the city. He whipped out a note pad and feverishly started to write me a note. Apparently, he was lost and needed someone to call a taxi for him, and wanted me to talk on the phone. He was deaf and dumb, afraid and rather frantic - he gestured to me to go into the phone booth - and he promptly followed, squeezing me in and blocking my exit. He began the frantic note writing again and I communicated back using the same note pad - eventually we made a successful phone call and caught our selves a taxi.

On parting I asked him why he ran for me, when there were so many other people on the street to pick on. He pointed to my chest and fingered out the words that were printed on my T-shirt. The black and white shirt had a bold Christian slogan, back and front, that stood out for miles. He apparently had decided that I could be trusted and would probably help - but conversely at one point when I was pinned in the phone booth, I felt a little like Woody - I learnt a little more that day.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the rotund man has something in common with this rotund woman. I've often thought that you'd feel uncomfortable if left alone in a confined space with her. If you conducted a poll with my childrens' friends the results would show that I am far scarier than Mr Walken. But Why?
    PS I love Annie Hall and almost any movie that has Mr Walken in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny Loretta, but I don't find you scary and your not rotundas. But your right I always try to talk to you in the open and in groups - no just kidding. Maybe, it's not fear that others have of you but respect - they feel a little intimidated and don't know what to say or do. But then again you may have a few Jekyll/Hyde things going on that I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010