Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Collapse

After listening to a Phillip Adams interview with author Dmitry Orlov on the ABC's Late Night Live, I became interested enough to check out his blog - ClubOrlov. Below is a Youtube interview with Dmitry that he posted a few days ago - the Phillip Adams interview was similar but a bit shorter and can be found here on a podcast.



The whole subject has interesting links to my thinking on the NASA series of paintings. My apologies to any readers from the USA - although, we are beginning to see some large cracks in our armour in Australia as well.

His ideas on surviving and changing to a new culture have some merit.

5 comments:

  1. Really good interview. I am what you would call a depression (well the 70's in the uk where local unemployment was at 30%) and so many of the things he talks about preparing I understand and relate to. I think it is going to be very hard for many Americans who have been spoiled these last 20 years by easy money, easy credit, cheap imports and a sense of entitlement.
    well off to check his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think your right Jafagirl, the level of lifestyle we are used to in the west is going to be challenged. 30% unemployment is very high - no wonder the punk movement flourished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to get his book, looked really interesting and good reviews.

    David I had just got out of secretarial school and I couldn't even find a job cleaning toilets. It was a bloody awful period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He seems extreme to me. A capitalist economy is not the same as a Communist one, though some problems may be shared. Using a few grains of truth, he is capitalizing on people's fears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hobbes,

    Yes, you maybe right about Orlov. I am not stating here that I fully support his concepts - which I don't.

    To me this stuff is all over the newspapers and internet and growing.

    It's more the collective consensus of many voices - the social implications of the change that is occurring around the globe.

    Also, like a bower bird I am picking and sifting the material. But really I do have a point of view and it's not tied to either left or right wing politics.

    I don't have a monopoly on the facts, but my overarching viewpoint is quite different to Orlov's and is focused more on absolute truth and it's pervasion in this world.

    Nice teddy bear.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010