Saturday, July 25, 2009

Artists

The artists I grew up with are either, very old, dying or dead. I found  an interesting list of Australian Artists  on Wikipedia while searching for one of these 70+ artists. It’s  sort of like the music I listen to – all out of date and 20+ years old – curling up at the edges and turning into golden oldies.

 

Andrew Sibley was the artist I was looking for – I am currently reading a book about him.  The funny thing is that he has been left off the above mentioned list.  I thought he was more well known, but maybe with so many artists too choose from, he was just left off.

 

But, in the book it explains that early in his career he was very successful and a darling of the art world, until he decided to do things in a different way. He was promptly dropped by the art fraternity, his sales plummeted dramatically, and he was left in the wilderness for at least ten years. I haven’t finished the book yet, so I don’t know if he fully recovers from this misfortune – but I get sense from the above list that things didn’t get any easier.

 

Looking over his work, my preference is for the earlier work – the very recent work seems too cartoonish and saccharine – along the lines of Robert Dickerson.

Check out some of his recent works here.

 

Is it better to be on the list or off the list?   - Whatever, who cares!

Snippet

Above, a portion of a David definitely of the list pencil and paint drawing – small portions are the best portions – one could do a series just based on cropped and blown up, repainted versions of past artworks. Maybe, when I get too saccharine in my old age I should just revert to  cropping and blowing up – I already have the cartoon thing going on. Maybe, I could be like a Naturopath and dilute my work down to nothing – just a faint echo of my youthful self – much like Lloyd Rees – who, although was honest and great to the very end.

Time will tell.

3 comments:

  1. You wrote:
    "The artists I grew up with are either, very old, dying or dead"

    Oh just wait. It gets weirder and scarier. A lot of my artist colleagues who are getting older (but not old, old) are starting to get sick and/or die. It is such a strange, haunting feeling. The positive side of this time of life is that you realize this isn't a dress rehearsal and you get on with it! No time to waste!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sheree,

    Yes, time is moving faster and every year seems to be another wasted year - your right there is no time to waste. Onward and upward, never say die!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sheree,

    Yes, time is moving faster and every year seems to be another wasted year - your right there is no time to waste. Onward and upward, never say die!

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010