Monday, December 28, 2009

Hole

Worm Hole

I finally got my drawing desk into some sort of order and started to work on finishing a few drawings – there is a pile of a about 30 to work through.

Hopefully soon, I will start to accelerate into my NASA series – the last one in the series maybe entitled, “NASA vs. Nolan” – but we will see – this idea might be a bit trite.

The commitment to complete a work, even after not working on it for many months or even a year, has it’s benefits. One is you can see the work with new eyes and two, the new investment invites extrapolation – new ideas are built upon old ideas which in turn leads to new work.

Freshness in a piece of art is quite important, and that spontaneity creates a spark and liveliness which is missing in overworked pieces. But in saying that, spontaneity, and subsequent life and freshness, are really a product of a state of mind and effort that is appropriately rendered.

The above work, possibly entitled “Worm Hole”, or “Portal de Femme” or some such thing, is almost finished – the figure needs some work and a 9B pencil will be used to tidy and enliven the surface overall.

The important thing is to stay committed and think about what you do, while minimising the distractions – whatever they may be.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sentence 'new ideas are built on old ideas which turns into new work'.
    I'm experiencing that myself at the moment too in my work ~ It feels like ~ 'hey, I have moved, I have shifted, I am growing. Fancy that?' It's really satisfying to not really notice the changes until my work shows me. Do you get that too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the more work you accumulate and more you experiment then your mind has more to draw from. This process creates a revolving fountain of stuff that we can dip into. And, yes I do get that too - especially if we continue to complete work and strive for greater things. Many times, I am not sure where my work is heading, but the mind engages with the work and slowly unravels and directs the meaning and final outcome of the work - do this many times over time and who knows where you will end up.

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Popular Posts

All Images Copyright D.Howard 2010